When I tried to compile R on Solaris 10 today, I noticed that R complained that it doesn’t support UTF locales. A check in the documentation showed that UTF-8 should be supported. A closer reading revealed that the example UTF encoding key is in lower case without dash “-“. i.e. “
en_GB.utf8“. The default encoding key on the machine I am working on is “
en_US.UTF-8“. So, I am not sure if using different capitalization and dash could be a potential cause.
Anyway, here is how I worked around the issue:
export LANG=en_US export LC_ALL=en_US export LC_MESSAGES=en_US
Please do let me know if I should do anything differently during
configure time. Thanks.