Adding Weblogic 12c Runtime in OEPE (Eclipse)

When I tried to add an Oracle WebLogic Server 12c as a new server runtime to a project in OEPE (Eclipse), OEPE refused to recognize the information I entered. Fortunately, Daniel G. told me that I have to select the wlserver folder first, then backspace a few times to remove wlserver from the path and type in the wlserver back to trigger the screen to fresh. The goal is to change the path using different ways to trigger a refresh action, which doesn’t get triggered when it supposed to. Once I was able to trigger the fresh action on wlserver folder, OEPE was able to recognize the server runtime installed in the folder. ;)

This definitely worth a bug on OEPE!

How to figure out what DB instance you are using when using isql (Sybase)

Today a coworker taught me how to figure out what database instance I am using when using the isql command line tool connecting to Sybase. This involves two query statements:

select dbid from master..sysprocesses where spid = @@spid

The above statement will display the dbid of the database instance you are using. Next using this dbid to find out the name:

select name from master..sysdatabases where dbid = [dbid]

Thanks to Bob for this cool trick! :)

Debug JBoss with Eclipse

I found a need to debug JBoss with Eclipse. A search on google led me to ths page. I had to tweak a bit to get my local instance to work.

For example, I had to change the quote character from ” to “.

JAVA_OPTS="-Xdebug -Xnoagent
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=n $JAVA_OPTS"

After that, JBOSS was able to load the new parameters correctly.

The post also have slightly different UI screen than what I see on my version of Eclipse. I did the following:

  1. Go to Run –> Debug Configurations … in the menu
  2. Rick click on Remote Java Application and choose New
  3. Choose the project of your choice. Change the address to 8787 to match the parameter specified for JBoss earlier. Change host name if necessary.
  4. Click Apply and then Debug

I was able to connect to the server and start debug the application. :)